Living in Leverett

From LevWiki

Revision as of 15:26, 21 September 2009 by Paul Hegarty (953) (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

Hi, I'm Paul, Building Manager for Leverett and DeWolfe. Read the following carefully since issues such as building maintenance and lockouts are handled by the Harvard Real Estate Services (HRES), not me. If you still have questions, you can email me or stop by. Remember to give me your room number and description of your problem as well. We try to resolve problems quickly and efficiently so the more information, the better for you and me. Enjoy your time here.

Best, Paul E-mail: Phone: (617-49)5-2277 Building Manager's Office Hours: Building Manager = 8AM-4:30PM, Security Guard = 4PM-8AM (Mon-Fri); Security Guard = 5PM-7AM (Weekends)



  1. I have maintenance issues. Who do I contact? Submit a repair request here.
  2. My network connection isn't working. Can I get it fixed? Visit
  3. How do I deal with pest problems? If you find cockroaches, ants, or other insects in your suite, the first thing to do is find the source that is attracting them. Make sure that absolutely all perishables are in sealed containers, that there are no spills or crumbs on the floor or empty unwashed beverage bottles. Return all dishes to the Dining Hall. If the problem persists, report it to Paul Hegarty at 5-2277.
  4. Do you have any advice for Do-It-Yourself maintenance? The College must insist that all maintenance be handled through the Building Manager's office. Even well-meaning do-it-yourself maintenance can cause serious damage and liabilities. For example, using over-the-counter caustic drain cleaners to open clogged drains can damage pipes and be a threat to the safety of maintenance personnel.

Security and Lockouts

  1. I'm locked out! How do I get back into my room? On weekdays between 8 AM and 4 PM, see the building manager. At night, see the security guard in the library building. On weekends, contact the tutor on call; contact information will be posted around the House. HUPD also responds to lockout requests between 1 AM and 8 AM, Monday through Friday.
  2. What do I do if I've lost my key? Students must request replacement keys from the Building Manager. Lost keys cost $5 to replace during the term and $15 at the end of the term.


  1. Where's the laundry? Laundry rooms can be found in the basement of D-Entryway in McKinlock and in the basements of F and G Towers.
  2. What do I do if something doesn't work in the laundry room? Problems with washers and dryers can be reported online to Mac Gray Systems here. Problems with the Crimson Cash swipe reader can be reported online at any time, or by phone at (617) 496-0329 between 8 AM and 5 PM, Monday through Friday.


Please see the General Rules to Follow for tips on preventing theft and unauthorized entry.


  1. Where can I lock up my bike? One bicycle rack for residents of McKinlock is available at the far end of the courtyard. Bicycle racks for residents of the Towers are located in the courtyard. Limited indoor storage is available in the basement of G Tower. Be courteous, use the bicycle racks provided.
  2. Where can't I lock up my bike? The bicycle rack under the library building breezeway is reserved for LevBikes. Bicycles may not be locked to any of the stairwells, gates, posts, or handicapped ramps. If this occurs, the locks will be cut and the bikes left unlocked or be removed. In addition, bikes must be removed from all bicycle racks for commencement in May.
  3. How can I register my bike? To deter thieves and improve the chances of recovering a stolen bike, register your bicycle with HUPD here.

Temperature Control

  1. How do I adjust the temperature in my room? In McKinlock, the valve on the end of the radiator controls the room temperature. In the Towers, the valve is located underneath a hinged panel on top of the radiator.
  2. My room is still too hot/cold! What do I do? If your room is overheated or cold, bring it to the attention of the Building Manager. After hours help with room temperature control should be directed to the Control Center at 495-5560.
  3. Can I have a space heater or air conditioner? The use of space heaters is strongly discouraged because they are fire hazards and are an inefficient use of energy. Air conditioners are allowed only with the written recommendation of a physician and approval by the Accessible Education Office.

Bathroom Cleaning

Common bathrooms are cleaned Monday through Friday between 8 AM and 4 PM. Suite bathrooms in McKinlock are normally cleaned at least every two weeks by Dorm Crew. If your bathroom in McKinlock is not cleaned at this interval or to your satisfaction, please contact Dorm Crew at (617-49)5-5569 or Suite bathrooms in F and G Towers are cleaned by FMO. If your bathroom in the Towers is not cleaned to your satisfaction, please contact the Building Manager.

8 Mail

9 Storage

10 Pets

11 Furnishings 12 Suite Inspections 13 Suite Decoration 14 Postering Distribution