Party Form and Policies

From LevWiki

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Revision as of 16:13, 22 August 2018 (edit)
Kim Gulko (4249) (Talk | contribs)
('''Black-out Dates''')
← Previous diff
Revision as of 19:56, 25 August 2018 (edit) (undo)
Bilal Malik (2255) (Talk | contribs)
('''Black-out Dates''')
Next diff →
Line 55: Line 55:
''No party dates 2018/19:'' ''No party dates 2018/19:''
-• Aug 26 - Aug 30 (move-in)+• Aug 26 - Sept 6 (move-in, first week of classes, MCAT on Sept 1)
- +
-• Fri Aug 31 (MCAT on Sept 1)+
• Fri Sept 7 (MCAT and LSAT on Sept 8) • Fri Sept 7 (MCAT and LSAT on Sept 8)

Revision as of 19:56, 25 August 2018

return to Facilities


Party Policies

Students should act responsibly when hosting social gatherings. The most severe punishments for violations of the policy (e.g.: suspension or expulsion from the College) arise from serving alcohol to minors, and therefore generally are imposed on hosts of parties. Whether or not alcohol is served, hosts must be residents of the suite which is hosting the party, and must be present at all times during the party. Parties cannot make use of multiple suites, nor can a suite host a party for a student group with which they themselves are not affiliated.

Registering Parties

Parties need to be registered if they meet the criteria below:

• if you plan to have 15 people or more

• If you plan to serve alcohol and have more than 10 guests

• if you plan to have a keg

There are two ways to register parties:

- Expedited online registration (only for students who have completed the training workshop)

- Party form (due Thursday 3pm to the house office).

Expedited Party Registration

• In order to qualify for Expedited Party Registration, all party hosts must have completed a 90-minute safe party hosting training workshop.

• Expedited Party Registration allows students to register and host a party on Friday and Saturday nights with as little as one hour’s notice; registration happens online using this questionnaire.

• House-wide party blackout dates still apply.

Party Forms

Students/Hosts who have NOT completed the 90-minute safe party hosting training workshop need to fill out a party form:

Leverett Party Form

Party forms are available at the House Office, F-5. They are also available in PDF form on the Leverett Wiki (see above). Party forms must be signed by the entryway tutor - only the tutor for that entryway may sign the form; another tutor, even a neighboring tutor, cannot sign. Furthermore, tutors cannot be responsible for more than 1 party at a time. Party Forms should be submitted by the students/hosts holding the party to the House Office by Thursday at 3 pm. (This is the deadline for parties on Friday and Saturday and, if permitted, the following Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday).

If you plan to hold a party:

  1. determine if you need a party form and pick it up from the House Office
  2. talk to your roommates and get their consent
  3. talk to your entryway tutor as soon as possible
  4. if you plan to serve alcohol, review the University and House Policy
  5. get tutor’s signature on the form and turn it into House Office IN PERSON by 3 PM the Thursday before the party.
  6. remember that parties should respect the House policy regarding quiet hours, which start at 11 pm on weekdays, and at 2 am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Always call tutors if the party gets out of hand—whether or not you serve alcohol. We're here to help.

Black-out Dates

Parties are not allowed during Exam periods and on certain weekends (such as Head of the Charles Weekend) and on certain nights (such as the night of the formals, and on nights before MCATS, GRES, LSAT). There are NO parties during move-in week, reading period or finals. Parties ARE allowed between sophomore/junior move-out and Class Day. Here is a list of no-party dates for 2018-2019. Please note more exam dates will be added throughout the year, so do check back before you plan your party.

No party dates 2018/19:

• Aug 26 - Sept 6 (move-in, first week of classes, MCAT on Sept 1)

• Fri Sept 7 (MCAT and LSAT on Sept 8)

• Fri Oct 19/Sat Oct 20 (Head of the Charles)

• Fri Nov 16 (LSAT on Nov 17)

• Dec 6 - Dec 21 (reading period, Winter Formal TBD, exams)

• Fri Jan 25 (LSAT on Jan 26)


• Fri Mar 29 (LSAT on Mar 30)


• May 2 - May 18 (reading period, MCAT, exams)

• May 30 - Sept 3(summer)

Alcohol Policy

Harvard College Alcohol Policy

Leverett House follows the policy of Harvard University in complying with College and Massachusetts State rules on alcohol use. The state law holds illegal not only the purveyance to or false purchase of alcohol by people under 21, but even the possession and consumption of alcohol by such people--even in a private room on a college campus.

Underage students who drink run the risk of receiving a House Warning, which means receiving an official letter from the Assistant Dean about the incident. This warning puts them in jeopardy of being asked to leave the House or of disciplinary action by the Administrative Board, or both--if the student repeats the offense or compounds it by continuing to be in possession of the alcohol.

Parties with Alcohol

The Massachusetts law on alcohol applies both to underage drinking and to possession of alcohol. By law, the College is required to prohibit any provision of liquor to individuals under 21 in private as well as public settings. Individuals are liable to legal, and hence college disciplinary action if they give or sell alcohol to underage persons. Hosts of parties are also expected to take reasonable measures to prevent underage students from obtaining alcohol at their parties. If they are planning to have alcohol, they should also ensure that non-alcoholic drinks and food are available as well. Any delivery of alcohol to the House must be registered with the House to ensure that it was made to person of legal age who takes responsibility for its proper and legal use.

Students who are hosting a party with alcohol, who know that there will be underage drinkers present, are advised to do the following:

  1. Realize that they, as hosts, are responsible if any underage drinker consumes alcohol at their party (a violation of Massachusetts law as well as College rules)
  2. Underage students cannot request that 21+ students bring alcohol to their party for the underage students' party.
  3. Check ID at door if serving alcohol.
  4. Do not allow guests to walk out of room/suite with alcohol in hand.
  5. Remember that those hosting the party are ultimately responsible for the actions of their guests.
  6. Check out this useful resource:Private parties in the houses

Harvard’s Amnesty Policy

Students may bring an intoxicated or drug-impaired friend to University Health Services or to a hospital, or seek assistance from College residential life staff or HUPD, and by doing this, neither they nor the friend will face disciplinary action from the College for having used or provided alcohol or drugs. Additional details in the Student Handbook.

Parties and Common Space

The Common Space areas of the House are for all residents of the House to enjoy. Therefore, you cannot throw a "private" party in a common space, such as the JCR or the Library Theater. Special use of these or other common spaces, such as the main dining room, may be discussed with the Faculty Deans.

G-Hutch party policy

Yes, you can throw a party in G-Hutch! Here’s how:

1) Submit an application to use G-Hutch using this online form. Make sure your party does not fall on one of the black-out dates. If your party is taking place this weekend, the application is due by 11:59pm on Monday night; you may also apply far in advance. G-Hutch event coordinators (who can be reached at will review the application and get in touch with you by Wednesday at midnight.

If your event has been approved, you still have to file some paperwork:

2) Fill out and sign the "G-Hutch agreement" available here. You can hand it over to JoAnn in the House Office along with the deposit in the amount of $50 (check payable to Harvard University is preferred). The deposit will be refunded next Monday provided the conditions listed on the form are met.

3) If you are over 21 y/o and are planning to serve alcohol, you also have to fill out the regular party form, available above (unless you have completed the expedited party process in which case you may simply register online). Paper forms must be dropped by the House office by Thursday 3:00pm. If you are turning in a paper form, there is no need for your to get the signature of everyone in your U (since the party is not taking place in the U); there is also no need to get your entryway tutor’s signature (tutor on call will be in charge).

Before the party: set up a quick appointment with Paul so that he or his staff could help you with cleaning supplies.

During the party: if you're going to be serving alcohol, please fold the ping-pong table and arrange a serving area in that corner. All regular party-policies above apply to G-Hutch parties. G-Hutch will be treated as an extension of your room which means that tutor on call may stop by to check on your event or to address a noise complaint as an entryway tutor would. If the party goes out of hand or you need any help you can always call the tutor on call at 617-429-3311. You are expected to observe quiet hours (2am on Saturday or Sunday).

After the party: clean-up is your responsibility which should be taken very seriously. All trash should be removed by 10am on the next day. If the G-Hutch still requires clean up after 10am, the deposit is forfeited.


Q: can I only reserve the place on on Friday or Saturday?

A: normally yes, but please feel free to use the online form to indicate any special reasons for your event to be held on the weekday and we will carefully consider your request. Such an event will have to be over by 11pm.


The general noise policy is the same as the noise policy for a party. Quiet time is after eleven on Sunday through Thursday nights and two a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. But at all times, you are responsible for ensuring that noise in your room does not disturb your neighbors. If you are being responsible, you should not get complaints. But if you do get a noise complaint, you must treat the complainer with respect, respond immediately and see that the offending behavior does not recur.