History of the Leverett Buildings
|return to Facilities|
Leverett House, one of the original seven Houses built with a generous gift of Edward S. Harkness, opened in 1931. It is named in honor of John Leverett (A.B. 1680) who served 15 years as a tutor and had a successful career as a lawyer and judge before returning to Harvard as President, 1708-1724.
Originally, Leverett House consisted of two main buildings. McKinlock Hall, designed by the architectural firm of Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch and Abbott, opened for freshman in 1926. Remodeled in 1931 with the addition of a dining hall and Masters' Residence, it joined with Mather Hall (now known as Old Quincy) to form the nucleus of the first Leverett House.
Leverett remained in that configuration until 1960 when with the expansion of Harvard College, new Houses were added. Mather Hall became part of Quincy House. Construction of F and G Towers, set in a garden court, was completed in 1959, along with the new House Library building which received the 1964 Award of Merit of the American Institute of Architects. Designed by the architectural firm of Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch and Abbott, Leverett Towers was Harvard's first experiment with high rise design.