Attending Harvard College means living in residence. Harvard freshmen live in seventeen Yard dormitories, ranging from Massachusetts Hall, built in 1720, the oldest Harvard building, to Canaday which was completed in 1974. The Dean of Freshmen oversees these students. Harvard upperclassmen live in one of 12 residential Houses, each housing 300-450 students and presided over by a Faculty Dean, who is often a professor or senior administrator, or by co-Faculty Deans. In each of the Houses, an Allston Burr Assistant Dean of Harvard College serves as resident academic dean.
Harvard's current House Plan, the inspiration of President Lowell, dates back to the early 1930's, but the idea and ideals behind it stretch back almost as far as the College itself. Across all four centuries of Harvard's history, learning together has meant living together. President Lowell's wishes came to fruition in 1928 when Edward S. Harkness, Yale '97, offered more than ten million dollars to provide for the first seven Houses. The Houses were to be patterned after the Oxford and Cambridge Colleges and were meant, in President Lowell's words, "to unite learning with the fine art of living." Two of the new Houses, Dunster and Lowell, opened in 1930; Eliot followed in 1931, along with Adams, Kirkland, Leverett, and Winthrop. Dudley House was created in 1935 to serve non-resident students. Quincy House followed in 1959, North and Cabot (formerly South House) were formed into Houses in 1961; Mather and Currier opened in 1970.
Leverett House was named after John Leverett, who was President of Harvard from 1708 to 1724. Leverett's election was one of the significant turning points for Harvard, for every President before him had been a clergyman. Leverett was a leader of the liberal movement in the Congregational Church and he opposed the powerful clergymen Increase and Cotton Mather, who had attempted to impose upon the College a new charter containing a loyalty oath that would have refused appointment to the faculty of anyone not willing to acknowledge the primacy of Biblical scripture. According to Samuel Eliot Morison, "Leverett, in a word, founded the liberal tradition of Harvard University." Leverett, during his tenure as president, also improved the quality of instruction in the College and maintained the position of Harvard in the critical years when Yale was becoming a formidable rival.
Harvard in the mid-twenties had constructed on the banks of the recently dammed Charles River student residences, occupied originally by freshmen. McKinlock Hall was one of those original buildings, built in 1925. With the formation of Leverett House in 1930-31, Mather Hall across Mill Street was built along with the present dining hall and Master's residence. Six squash courts were also constructed adjacent to Mather Hall. Leverett remained in that configuration until the early 1960's when the College expanded and the new Houses were added. Mather Hall became a part of Quincy, the squash courts were lost, and the Leverett Towers built. The Saltonstall family gave money for a new library, and the House offices moved to F tower. In 1983, McKinlock was renovated and at that time the present entrance to the dining hall was constructed.
The first Master of the House was Kenneth Murdoch, Professor of English and Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The second Master was Leigh Hoadley, a biologist interested in the development of animals. The third Master was John Conway, an historian and bachelor for most of his tenure at the House. He married his wife Jill in Leverett House in the early 60's, and later they were at Smith College where she served as President. Richard Gill, an economist, was the fourth Master. Master Gill was a wonderful bass and he sang each year in the Leverett House Opera--a fixture in the House. While Master he auditioned for the New York City Opera and was offered a contract. He accepted and left Harvard, economics, and Leverett to begin a new career, first with the New York City Opera, and later with the Metropolitan Opera.
The fifth master was Kenneth Andrews, who was appointed in 1971. During his tenure the Houses became coeducational and Leverett had for the first time a Co-Master, Carolyn Andrews. Ken Andrews was a professor at the Business School (the first Business School faculty member to be appointed Master), and during Harvard's 350th anniversary celebration, was one of the 20 individuals receiving Harvard Medals for distinguished service to the University. His citation read: "He understands, as Mark Twain never did, how business works best; his writings elucidate the complex subject to the benefit of his Harvard colleagues and of managers everywhere." Renowned biologist John Dowling and his wife Judith were appointed as the sixth Masters of Leverett House in 1981; Howard and Ann Georgi, as the seventh Masters, in 1998.
Over the years, distinguished guests of Leverett House have included W.B. Yeats, T.S. Eliot, Robert Frost, and Malcolm X. Yo Yo Ma was a music tutor. Archibald MacLeish, Perry Miller, and Lillian Hellman lived on the top of F-Tower; ominously, both Dasheill Hammet and Italo Calvino died immediately after contracting to live there.
The word "leveret" means young hare and inspired the rabbit motif on the Leverett family crest, which is the source for the Leverett House Shield.
You may be interested in some early information about the House that JoAnn unearthed in the Library. The first of these is from the 30s, and the rest are self-explanatory.