Pre-Career - Links, Guides, Templates
|HOME: Leverett Pre-Career Homepage|
|PEOPLE: Leverett Tutors EVENTS: Leverett & OCS RESOURCES: Links/Guides/Templates|
Below are a number of useful links, guides, and templates, for all stages of the process -- from beginning your career exploration to getting the specific opportunity you want.
- All-in-one presentation on the internship and job search: Exploration; Networking; Resumes & Cover-letters; Interviewing. For additional tips and resources, see below.
 Planning for the Summer
- Guide to Summer Opportunities
- Lev's Essential Summer Guide: Tony Pino's 'How to Make the Most of Your Summer'
- E-Recruiting Tips from Seniors
 Career Exploration
- OCS Job Search 101.
- OCS Resource for exploring/ applying for graduate school.
- OCS Career Areas: Few students come to college knowing they want to go into business. Business at Harvard is often thought of as recruiting, I-banking, and consulting, but there is a lot more out there. The business tutors are happy to meet with you to talk about career exploration. Also, OCS is an incredible resource for business careers, and we encourage you to make an appointment with one of the counselors there if you are interested.
- Crimson Compass: Directory of alumni by profession, who have agreed to give internship and career-related advice to current students. Crimson Compass is an online career networking service available to students and alumni interested in learning about career and/or internship opportunities. Crimson Compass provides you with contacts, enables you to store comments on each of your contacts and shares helpful tips on successful networking. Currently, there are over 15,000 alumni volunteering to share their professional experiences and expertise with students and alumni. So whether you're applying to graduate school, changing careers or just starting out, Crimson Compass provides you with the connections you need.
- Join an OCS mailing list here -- includes lists for summer opportunities, international experience opportunities, graduate school options, as well as other career/ internship options and opportunities.
- OCS Recruiting Website All on-campus recruiting students must go through OCS. Note that deadlines happen very early in the year! Also, you can sign up at OCS for a videotaped mock interview with analysis afterwards. This is a great way to see how you actually look and sound in the interview.
- Crimson Compass (directory of alumni by profession, who have agreed to give internship and career-related advice to current students)
- Wetfeet.com Great commercial site from a couple of Stanford Business School grads geared towards the recruiting student. Has industry analyses, intros to case interviews, and a whole host of other useful info.
- The Vault Another great commercial recruiting site that is chock full of information.
 Preparing your Resume and Cover letter
- The Essential Resume and Cover Letter Guide
- OCS Resume and Cover Letter Guide
- OCS Resume Template Preferred format as of fall 2016; please use this template for all Harvard On-Campus Interviewing (OCI) Program recruiting
- Sample resumes in MS Word, so you can type in your information in an already-formatted document. Pick a format that looks best to you and suits your experiences/ job you are applying for. In terms of content, read Sample 1 below -- it is helpful in showing how to: | Convey achievements | Give context of experiences, details about specific activities/ tasks performed, and results/ impact | Quantify wherever possible | Explain technical things (e.g. research experiences) in an accessible, easy-to-understand manner (i.e. by using 'normal English' rather than language specific to the field/ project/ organization). Make sure you save the files on your desktop before you start editing them:
- Additional useful information from OCS
 General Interviews
 Case Interviews
- Demystifying the Case Interview: The Leverett House Guide Case interview strategies with 11 cases from actual interviews with solutions!
- How to do well in Interviews (Check out the video on 'The Case Interview').
- McKinsey Case Interview Site Useful site from the consulting giant with sample case interviews.
- BCG Case Interview Site Excellent site from the noble consulting genius with sample case interviews.
Leverett's Pre-Career Committee Online