2021 Matriculation Calendar - for upcoming application cycle
- Fall intro pre-med meeting mandatory for all students applying in the upcoming cycle held on November 14th at 7pm in the Library Theatre.
- Notify the Pre-Med committee that you are intending to apply in the upcoming medical school application cycle by emailing email@example.com
- Advisor/applicant pairings will be emailed out by January 2020. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not been assigned an advisor by February 2020
February - March 2020
Get in touch with your premed advisor at least once during this time. At this meeting, please discuss:
- Timeline for application to medical school
- MCAT date and preparation (if you have not taken yet)
- Letters of recommendation
- Important extracurriculars and leadership positions
- Any low grades, challenging courses, or other issues (academic probation, etc.)
- Time off (if applicable)
- Get in touch with your premed advisor at least once during this time. At this meeting, please discuss:
- If you haven’t already done so, register for and take the MCAT. Overview
By the end of this month, you should have had at least two in-person meetings with your advisor. At your second meeting, you should also discuss:
- Preliminary list of schools
- Ideas for personal statement
March - April, 2020
- Get an AAMC ID# (8 digits), even if you have not begun work on the common application (your Letter ID will be available once the application opens, and will be 7 digits) (AMCAS).
- Send first draft of personal statement to advisor by March 27, 2020,
- Inform House Office (at email@example.com) by March 27, 2020 which letters you are planning to include in your file.
- Work on the Leverett Premedical Questionnaire (see Leverett Premed Questionnaire below), which is due by email by April 10, 2020.
Arrange to have 3-5 letters of recommendation (MAX 6) sent to the house office by April 10, 2020. For MD/PhD, aim for 4-6 letters (MAX 8).
- Each letter must be accompanied by a Letter of Recommendation Waiver form (see Letter Waiver Form below)
- Recommendation letters MUST refer specifically for admission to medical school (see Letter to Recommenders below).
- Letters must be SIGNED.
- Letters should be on letterhead stationary.
- Clean up your Facebook, Twitter, etc. sites and voicemail. Medical Schools can and do look and listen!
April 10, 2020 DEADLINE TO COMPLETE HOUSE FILE. PLEASE NOTE: IF WE DO NOT HAVE YOUR COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE AND LETTERS BY April 10, 2020, WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT WE WILL HAVE YOUR COMPOSITE LETTER COMPLETED BEFORE AUGUST 15th.
- Complete list of medical schools to which you are applying.
- Completed waiver form for the Committee Letter Waiver (see House Committee Letter Waiver below)
- Completed Premed Questionnnaire (see Leverett Premed Questionnaire below)
- 3-5 recommendation letters (4-6 for MD/PhD)
Third meeting with pre-med advisor. At this meeting, you should discuss:
- First draft of personal statement
- List of medical schools to apply to
- OCS Resources
June 26, 2020 Recommended Leverett deadline for completing the AMCAS application.
- Regular decision deadlines vary, ranging from October 15 to December 15.
- Note that many medical schools engage in a rolling admissions process, so it is to your distinct advantage to file your completed AMCAS application as early as possible. Even schools that do not offer rolling admissions offer rolling interviews so get your application in early! Applying late in the cycle will significantly reduce your chance of admission at many schools.
Fourth meeting with pre-med advisor. At this meeting, you should discuss:
- AMCAS primary application
- Secondary applications
- House Committee packets are sent to medical schools if materials are completed and submitted by the April 10th deadline.
Fifth meeting with pre-med advisor. At this meeting, you should discuss:
- Secondary applications and essays
- Interview scheduling, logistics, and tips.
September 2020 - March 2021 Interview Season
- Look out for emails about a mock interview and MMI session held at Leverett House (typically in September/early October).
- Go on interviews!
December 2020 - May 2021 Notification of acceptances
- AAMC rules indicate that by a predetermined deadline (typically in late April or early May of matriculation year) each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.
- Begin Medical School!
|Leverett Premed Questionnaire '20||200 KB|
|Fall 2019 Presentation||2.3 MB|
|Letter To Recommenders '20||158 KB|
|Letter Waiver Form||123 KB|
|AAMC Guidelines for Recommenders||499 KB|
|House Committee Letter Waiver||279 KB|